Tips for giving your cat a pill
The best way to give your cat a pill is to teach him—unknowingly—to give the pill to himself. You can do this by hiding the pill inside a treat or crushing it into your cat’s food (check with your vet first to make sure that crushing is permitted for the type of medicine your cat is prescribed). You can also ask your vet if the medication comes in other forms—like a liquid or gel—that may be easier to use.
If you decide to give the pill directly to your cat, practice with treats before any medication is administered. Use the following method, first with treats, then with an actual pill:
1. Prepare a small amount of food in a container you can reach for quickly.
2. Put your cat in a soft pet bed with high sides and give him a few minutes to get comfortable.
3. Use one hand to hold your cat’s head, placing your fingers on either side and across his ears.
4. Use your other hand—just one finger—to open your cat’s mouth.
5. Quickly pop the treat or pill inside and offer your cat a small amount of food to make sure he chews and swallows.
6. Take a moment to congratulate yourself on your success!